By Richard Hofstadter
In this award-winning vintage paintings of consensus historical past, Richard Hofstadter, writer of The Age of Reform, examines the function of social activities within the belief of mind in American life.
"As Mr. Hofstadter unfolds the interesting tale, it's no crude conflict of eggheads and fatheads. it's a wealthy, complicated, transferring photo of the lifetime of the brain in a society ruled via the proper of useful success." --Robert Peel within the Christian technological know-how Monitor
Read Online or Download Anti-Intellectualism in American Life PDF
Best government books
How do we make feel of Algeria's post-colonial adventure – the tragedy of unfulfilled expectancies, the descent into violence, the resurgence of the nation? Oil Wealth and the Poverty of Politics explains why Algeria's family political economic climate unravelled from the mid-1980s, and the way the regime ultimately controlled to regain energy and hegemony.
Low voter turnout is a major challenge in American politics this present day, however it isn't a brand new one. Its roots lay within the Twenties while, for the 1st time in approximately a century, a majority of eligible american citizens didn't hassle to forged ballots in a presidential election. shocked via this civic failure so quickly after a global battle to "make the area secure for democracy," reforming girls and company males introduced immense campaigns to "Get Out the Vote.
This e-book is the 1st accomplished examine of Senate majority leadership--it covers the place of work and its occupants from the 1st incumbent, John W Kern in 1913, throughout the time period of William H. Frist in 2006. info are either qualitative and quantitative. They comprise fabrics from information of numerous majority leaders-Lyndon Johnson, Mike Mansfield, Howard Baker, and George Mitchell.
Each day, coalition cupboards make coverage judgements severe to foreign politics. Juliet Kaarbo examines the dynamics of those multiparty cupboards in parliamentary democracies with a view to check either the standard of coalition determination making and the measure to which coalitions are inclined to want peaceable or army recommendations.
- Who Ran the Cities?: City Elites and Urban Power Structures in Europe and North America, 1750–1940 (Historical Urban Studies Series)
- Presidential Decisions for War: Korea, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and Iraq (The American Moment)
- Repositioning the Hong Kong Government: Social Foundations and Political Challenges (Hong Kong Culture and Society Book 1)
- Advancing Quality of Life in a Turbulent World: 29 (Social Indicators Research Series)
- The Accountability State: US Federal Inspectors General and the Pursuit of Democratic Integrity (Studies in Government and Public Policy)
- Invitation to Public Administration
Additional resources for Anti-Intellectualism in American Life
Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter